Jump to navigation
Stavros Benos was born in Kalamata on December 30, 1947 and he is a licensed topographical engineer.He has served Greece’s public life as:
• Mayor of Kalamata (1979-1990)
• Member of Parliament (const. Messenia, 1990-2004, const. Athens B, 2004-2007) and
• Deputy Culture Minister in Andreas Papandreou last government
• Culture Minister, Minister for the Aegean region, Deputy Minister of Public Order in Kostas Simitis’ governments.
Major achievements during his public service are:
• The reconstruction of the city Kalamata after the devastating earthquakes of September 1986; this project was awarded both by the European Council of Spatial Planners (for the original and human-centered urban restoration of Kalamata) and by EuropaNostra. (for the preservation and enhancement of the city’s monuments)
• The establishment and operation of the Citizen Service Centers (KEPs)
• The establishment and operation of DIAZOMA association on 2008.
Today Mr Stavros Benos is the chairman of the board of Diazoma Association which is a Citizens’ Movement established in Athens, Greece to protect, promote and revitalize the country’s ancient monuments, mainly ancient Greek theatres.