Marietta Giannakou is a medical doctor, graduated from the Faculty of Medicine of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, specialized in Neurology and Psychiatry with postgraduate studies in Ghent, Belgium.
Since 2019, she is a member of the Hellenic Parliament and participates in the following parliamentary committees:
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on supporting victims of violence and terrorism
- Member of the Standing Committee on National Defence and Foreign Affairs
- Member of the Standing Committee on Public Administration, Public Order and Justice
- Member of the Special Standing Committee on European Affairs
- Member of the Constitutional Revision Committee
She is also:
- Chairman of the Hellenic Parliament delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly.
- Chairman of the Friendship Group between the Parliaments of Greece and Morocco,
- Chairman of the Friendship Group between the Parliaments of Greece and North Macedonia
- Member of the Friendship Groups between the Parliaments of Greece and U.S.A. and of Greece and Croatia
Since November 2020, Marietta Giannakou is Vice President of NATO Parliamentary Assembly
In the past Marietta Giannakou has been:
- Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs (2004-2007) & Minister of Health, Welfare and Social Security (1990-1991)
- Member of the Hellenic Parliament in 1993, 1996, 2000, 2004 and 2019
- Member of the European Parliament in 1984, 1989, 1999 and 2009
- Head of the Parliamentary Delegation of Nea Demokratia Party (ND) in the European Parliament in 1989, 1999 and 2009
- Member of the Political Bureau of EPP
- National Coordinator of Greece in the EU for combating drugs
- Chairman of the Inquiry Committee of the European Parliament on the Drugs problem in the Member States
- Member of the Convention on the Future of Europe, representing the Hellenic Parliament (2002 -2003)
- Vice President of the European Democratic Union, European Union of Christian Democrats and the International European Union
- Member of Executive Committee and Political Council of ND Party
- Secretary for International Relations Affairs of ND Party
- Founding member of ONNED (Youth Organisation of ND Party - 1974) and member of the Executive Board
For her work in various areas, Marietta Giannakou has been honoured by:
- The Republic of Chile for her contribution to the re-establishment of democracy, with the ultimate medal of the Republic of Chile “Bernando O’ Higgins“.
- the Republic of Poland, for her contribution, as Chairman of the Greek Friendship Group between the Parliament of Greece and Poland, to the integration of Poland in the E.U, with the Commander’s Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland.
- The Federal Republic of Germany with the “GroΒkreuz Des Verdienstordens Der Bundesrepublik Deutschland”
- the Republic of Italy with the “La Gran Croce del Ordine dei Cavallieri“
- the Republic of France with the ultimate medal «Officier dans l’ Ordre de Mérite» for her contribution as Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs of “Francophonie” and the promotion of Greek French friendship
- the European People’s Party with the Robert Schuman Medal, the highest distinction awarded to a Member of the European Parliament, for her contribution to the European integration